the drive home...

The other night, while driving my seven-year-old son, Cole, home from school, he asked, "What are those guys dressed in black and white and move like this called?" I glanced behind me as he moved like he was stuck behind an invisible wall.

"A mime?"

"Yes, a mime.  Why are they called mimes?"

I went on to explain that when they are wearing their special outfits they don't speak but only gesture.

"Oh, like my teacher's boyfriend."

This gave me pause until I remembered his teacher's boyfriend is deaf.

"Yeah, sort of, I'd never thought about it that way, very smart of you, to put those two together."

I looked in the rear view mirror, smiled and prayed that, that was the end of his fascination with mimes.

Comments

Mr. Charleston said…
Why is it that like or dislike of mimes is, pardon the pun, black and white? It seems that people either really like them or are completely repulsed by them. I've always enjoyed them and am always surprised when I run across people who can't stand them. I'm not judgmental about it, just curious.
kj said…
i like them too. i love human emotion expressed without words.

happy holidays stacey and cole. i think it's gonna be a good year :)


kj

Popular Posts