in mourning...

On Monday I discovered, through Facebook, that "Luke," the man I'd been seeing for the better part of a year but had broken up with in June, had passed away from a skydiving accident. back in July.  He was 44 and left behind two children.

I'm not sure why I'm writing about it here. Perhaps as a test run, to see how it feels to type the words of his death in a public forum. To get over my fear of him being dead, me being alive, and continuing to write about him. He has been the subject of all my writing since July. He is major part of my memoir. He was the mirror that showed me that I was a Love Addict. Now he is a mirror, showing me the deeper layers of my core issues.

When I met him, there was instant chemistry. I actually wrote about our first date here, on my blog, but once he became a "follower" I deleted it. I didn't want him to know how smitten I was. In the personal essay I recently finished and was just beginning the process of rewriting I wrote, "Our first hello was a kiss and a hug and I could have sworn I'd kissed that spot between his chin and neck a million times before. I flashed to our wedding day."

It's strange to think back to that time, I felt that I knew directly from Spirit that I was going to meet someone of significance in May. So when I met Luke, (I have the hardest time calling him by a different name now) I truly believed he was the "one."

His death is an opportunity for great healing. There are so many details about his passing, the timing of it, how I found out, what it felt like, what is happening now, the layers of grief that I'm not sure where to begin.

I've been looking back on my blog to see what I had been writing about the day he died, July 18, 2010. The title was "divine plan..." and it was about him. The day before I had written about the last texts we had sent to each other and my words seem too final now.

In happier times, I wrote this, "synchronicity, the dress, and the tattoo..."

much love
-stacey

Comments

Brian Miller said…
sorry for your loss...it feels odd when something like this happens to one we once cared for...
What a shock to have discovered this! It must feel very strange that he was gone the whole time you were processing things between you. The lessons you learned are his legacy to you, I guess.
Lesley said…
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. You mentioned you weren't sure why you were writing about it here..... I felt like this just last week when I needed to write about my mum. I think it's a way of reaching out to others to communicate our grief. I'm glad that I did, as the comments I got brought me a lot of comfort. I hope you receive a lot of comfort too.
Sorry for your loss. What a shock to discover it thru facebook. I think it's healthy to write about it!
GYPSYWOMAN said…
seems so inconsequential to write a few words in an attempt to convey what is felt when someone suffers such a loss - and what words could possibly be consequential enough, anyway? and so i am just at a loss but had i the words, i would tell you how deeply sorry i am for your loss and how i know you will find your way through this dark time and be stronger and richer for having had him in your life - that every person comes into our life for a reason, just as he did - and that you are thought of with much love and affection! jenean
Lisa said…
Hello Stacey, I am so sorry for your loss. Everything that has happened, there is nothing we can do to change it, but to accept it.
Marla Frees said…
You have a different voice now. That is the humbling quality of death.
simple simon said…
that's bizarre Stacey and sorry to hear,, sky divng accident. About 5 nigths ago over at the local R B brewrey,, met a coulpe,, she wanted to sky dive for her 50th,, gave her what I thought was a good low down,, (take, opinion),, bored millionaires should surf the sky,, buy them bird man suits (webbed outfits) C what forward flight is about,, but with you to actually no somebody (Captain??) there in lies the problem with becoming infatuated with thrill.. ONCE is once, but then they whined up doing it all day many weekends,,, takes zeroes off the probabilites,, but still bizarre

Popular Posts