the churning...


A couple weeks ago I went to Universal Studios with The Captain, Goom and Mae Mae, a friend of Goom’s.  I’m sort of an amusement park junkie.  I don’t go every week like some people do but I do go a few times a year, which is more than almost any of my friends.  They think I’m a bit nuts but I love spending the day with Goom, watching his face light up as we get on each ride.

Universal Studios is probably Goom’s least favorite place and I’m not sure why we went, except it was close.  There is very little for him to do there.  In fact there is nothing for him to do there but I had forgotten about that until we got there and had shelled out our fifteen dollars for parking –note to self do not go again. Almost all rides freak him out and I mean FREAK HIM OUT. He hates what we’ve coined, “tunnel rides,” which is any ride that goes into a dark place and has loud noises –almost all rides.  Take a moment and imagine him at Disneyland, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad’s Wild Adventure, Winnie the Pooh –all tunnels.  Put it this way, we take lots of rides on Casey’s train but God, love him –he’s my kid and I can’t really blame him, most of the rides at Disneyland appear as bad psychedelic trips. (Click here for a mini-movie)

Okay, back to Universal Studios.  The tour is probably the best thing about the place and even that freaks him out because of the The Tunnel (used in Six Million Dollar Man see above), King Kong and the Earthquake but fortunately he agreed to go on it so off we went with sitting on my lap, shivering in anticipation of what was to come. 

Now you’re probably thinking this story is about rides, overcoming fear or how cute my son is but it’s not.  It is about that damn tunnel that spins around you and makes you feel you are going upside even though you aren’t moving at all except forward.  If you close your eyes, you feel nothing.

On that day, in that tunnel, was the metaphor for my life as it was and is at this moment.

I’m being churned. My life outside myself, the world around seems to be spinning, spinning, spinning.  My writing class is kicking my ass in a good way but since I’m writing a memoir it is also kicking my ass in a very personal way.  It is about me and my voice and how I come across.  I have a court date with Goom’s daddy on Tuesday.  Can’t say much more about it but I wake up in the morning with acid churning in my stomach.  My relationship with The Captain, deeply complicated forcing me to look within to find answers and live from my truth.  Being a fulltime single mom, tough but completely rewarding. All of this keeps life “busy” but it also keeps my emotions spinning around. 

My solace?  Closing my eyes, meditating, taking deep breaths and remembering it is in Spirit’s hands.  Allowing things to spin and knowing I don’t have to spin along with them.

I now practice a walking meditation. I am that much closer to knowing God. I’m living from my authentic self, my essence.  I am God.  I am sovereign. I am free.

But it ain’t easy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
allowing things to spin, knowing I dont have to spin with them...I think I may adopt that as my way of thinking....brilliantly written my friend, once again I walk away with a life skill, thank you;)
I hope you find yourself in calmer, smoother waters soon. Good for you for meditating and breathing deeply!
Brian Miller said…
glad you have found that place to go in the midst of it...just dont close your eyes during the walking meditation. smiles.
Holly Renee said…
Nice! Sounds like you are getting there one day at a time. I hate scary rides, they freak me out, so I can relate. Enjoyed the blog.

-Holly Renee
http://loveimaginecreate.blogspot.com
Sending you love, light, and stillness, dear Stacey. The world may be churning around you, trying to disrupt the equilibrium, but I know you will find sanctuary within your meditation. Keep going with the writing and I hope all goes well for you. xx
steveroni said…
...and go to that secret place within, and humbly say to myself "You are God, not me"...

It is the same God--I believe--which can be (only) found DEEP, DOWN within myself. And YOURself!!!

Well-written post, Excellent!

PEACE
steven said…
stacey j. i hadn't thought of the spin metaphor but it's real. when the spinning becomes you and you get caught up in it rather than standing back and letting it spin. you and goom and the captain will still be there as you are after tuesday. bless you. steven
there is no greater goal than to learn to live the joy that resides within.

complications in our life are part of the journey, the shift is when we see them for the lesson they bring instead of getting sucked into the vortex of fear.

You are so awesome for sharing your journey, one lesson at a time.
I like some scary rides, but others, you can keep them! I must say that I do get a rush on rollar coasters...just.....dropping.....down......over........THE BIG HILL!!! :) hahahahaha

Happy Saturday!
Lisa said…
The metaphor is great Stacey. Keep calm, take deep breaths and God willing, you'll be fine.

(I have to use God willing, because I found nothing is within my control, I can only do, but the outcome is 100% in the hands of The All-Compassionate, The Source of Peace).
Ah, writing your memoir will be very good for you, will get things out, in your own words. Once you face your life as it was, is, you'll be at peace with yourself.
xxx said…
It aint easy but it's simple.

Remind yourself that the past doesn't really exist except in your mind. It can't hurt you.

Keep focusing on what you want rather than what you don't want.

If you would like to fast track your meditation try the free sample cd that is offered on my blog in the sidebar. I think you'll like it.

I'm with Goom... not a big fan of the rides :)

Love to you Stacey
be well
Ribbon xx
xxx said…
PS...
thanks for all that you share.
I love your writing :)
GYPSYWOMAN said…
these words come to mind from yours: be still and it will come -

i know it will!

peace - jenean
kj said…
aww, stacey, this is a good post.
i'll bet once the court date is behind you, many things may lighten up. i wish that for you.

do you know i am writing a memoir also? it churns up all by itself. i am almost shocked at how much emotion is coming out. i'm in a memoir group with 3 very talented wom and an awesome writing teacher so i get support for the emotional fall out.

i love your honesty, stacey. i am root toot tooting for you every which way.

love
kj
Susan R. Mills said…
I hope things quit spinning for you soon. I'll be thinking about you.
Anonymous said…
Hello. And Bye.
Anonymous said…
Stopping ourselves from spinning, nothing so important as that one!

Secretia

Popular Posts