dark little figure and Jung...

In 1999, I was studying Jung and did a few workshops. Jung believed we all have many archetypes within us that we can access in various ways. In one workshop I learned how to access my archetypes through automatic writing. Of course the first archetype that showed up was the little girl, Stacey. The second was my higher-self. Through the years I’ve often used this exercise when I’ve needed guidance.

Here is a sample of this type of writing from 1999 –there is such sweet innocence in this piece. You'll see what I mean.

June 28, 1999


I would like to have a dialogue with the Teacher, with the Knowing One, I can not picture you but I know your words are comforting to me and will remind me of my day and all it will bring. Perhaps you are even the “me” I want to be.


Me: Why do I stop and get so lazy? It’s like being a child again and just sitting around watching TV instead of doing anything. I know there is a wealth of pleasures to be had at my computer with Anne Boleyn (I was working on a screenplay). Why do I stop myself? I didn’t even write yesterday.


Other: So many questions. Calm yourself. You say you were tired but you were actually just afraid. You are afraid.


Me: What am I afraid of? I seem to be afraid of so much lately.


Other: You are afraid of failing, which makes me laugh because you have done so much and have come so far. You need to discipline yourself.


Me: I feel so restrained and disciplined already. I don’t go out and party. I see my friends. I want so much more. I want to come home every night and write the script and be excited about it and I’m not.


Other: Why aren’t you?


Me: Well it hasn’t anything to do with not liking the subject matter. It has to do with some dark little figure that doesn’t want me to be all that I can be.


Other: Maybe that’s who you should talk to.


Me: Yes. You are right. Dark Little Figure where are you? I know you are present.


DLF: Yes, I’m here.


Me: Why do you come so often my life and stop me from doing what I truly want to be doing.


DLF: Well I’ve been around for a long time and you are very use to living with me and listening to me. You find comfort in me. You always listen to me.


Me: Well I don’t want to listen to you anymore. It is a constant battle with you and I’m tired of it.


DLF: I just give you ideas. You don’t have to follow them. I think you have a good balance.


Me: But see that’s where you are wrong. I don’t have a good balance. I slept most of the weekend and watched movies instead of doing work on Anne Boleyn. Now I feel like a loser. It makes me not like me. I feel best when I write, eat well, and exercise. It seems so simple but there you are always…eat all the corn muffins, watch 'The Practice'.


DLF: Like I said, you have let me lead you for a long time. Stop allowing me to lead you. You know what to do. Haven’t you felt my presence lessen in the past year?


Me: Yes. I know that I am doing much better. I just have to realize you are there to be reckoned with. That I will hear you but I will not follow what you say most of the time like I do now. I’m also very tired of comparing myself with other people.


Higher Self: You are on your own path. There is a ray of light through you and around you! I will always be here for you. You need not compare yourself with anyone. You are divine.


Me: Thank you. I will think of you often.

Okay, so you get the idea. For me it was being lazy, watching too much of The Practice and eating corn muffins but for you it might be alcohol, food, depression etc. It is whatever keeps you from being your best self. This exercise is great because you can dialogue with anything, even an emotion.

Can I just say thank God, for my Higher Self? Wow, I barely knew her back then and she just came in and saved the day.

The Higher Self is the God Spark in all of us.

May your day be blessed and know that you also are divine, just ask your Higher Self!





Comments

Anonymous said…
I love this....an excersise I need;)

hugs friend
I loved it too; sure beats brooding and overstuffing our faces.
Maria said…
It doesn't matter what you do as long as when you do it, you are really doing it!

That was a lovely post Stacey. Layers of meaning. You do leave an impression on my consciousness.

Thanks for you b/day wishes. I love the present look of your blog btw.

Till we reconnect.....xxxxx
Ekanthapadhikan said…
A Higher Self in me? I'm always aware of an Other Self in me. But a Higher Self? Hm... Let me exercise this...
Anonymous said…
If my higher self is listening, would he mind walking the dogs please? I'm tired tonight.....
Lisa said…
Hello Stacey, I speak to myself all the time now since I no longer have my soul mate by my side.
Ronald L. Smith said…
Interesting. Did you read about Jung's Red Book being released? You may find it of interest.

I hope you don't mind the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/20/magazine/20jung-t.html

Popular Posts