veil of perception...

I’ve been reading a bunch of memoir lately -research on voice. I find it fascinating that the way a writer puts words together creates voice and in the end character. But that’s not my topic for today. The other thing I find fascinating is the ending of a memoir. The genre of memoir I’ve been reading most is “chic lit” and if the girl doesn’t end up with a man the story often ends with something like, “I knew I was going to be OK.”

Which translates to –I love myself. But my question is how does a fucked up co-dependent who has never been shown how to love by the people who were suppose to teach her how to love even know how to begin to love herself? (Yes, I’m talking about me.) I believe we all know that loving ourselves is the answer but getting there often feels like being in a dense forest covered in fog –lost and not knowing where to begin.

The veil of codependence masks everything. In order to learn to love one’s self you basically have to throw out the bath water of your perception of reality. You have to choose to create a different reality from the inside out. As a recovering codependent, I have to learn how to reinterpret and create a different reaction to every little event that happens to me.

And we wonder why there are so many alcoholics and drug addicts –because it is easier to numb our shame and sadness than learn to reinterpret our reality. Co-dependence comes first than addiction. You can take away the addiction but that is only the beginning.

This is no easy task and for a psychic-co-dependent even tougher because you are playing on two levels of the game at the same time. The first level is the manifest world, what is created and playing out (although ever changing) it is what is. The other level is what has yet to manifest and one receives “information” about people. Throughout my life I’ve been given information about people (it has only been in the past two years I’ve learned how to discern it). Thinking if I knew this about them, than they must know this about themselves and I would just say it leaving a trail of wounded images behind me, not aware that I was hurting and harming because I did it from a place of love, unconscious love but love all the same.

Thinking you know how another should live their life is a trait of codependence.

Luckily, I’ve learned to bite my tongue –for the most part. I still mess up sometimes.

So what does it feel like to love one’s self? To be honest, I’ve only recently experienced this fully. I’ve been working on it consciously for over five years but only a few months ago did I feel it in my core.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
why is loving ones self the hardest thing to do, but so rewarding.
Clearly you're on the right path! Good for you!
Brian Miller said…
loving oneself is hard at times...we are easily our biggest critic...i do well with this at times...others not so much...
Mr. Charleston said…
I think the hardest thing about learning to love one's self is to avoid being self-absorbed. I'm not very good at it. Still my own harshest critic.

Come over to my place and meet someone who has learned to follow her bliss.
kj said…
hi stacey, this is quite a journey you're on. i think what matters is what you will learn.

when you don't know who or how to trust, the burgler alarm goes off even though the danger is long past. then you (and i) have to trust the FACTS. the alarm's ringing. if it gets too irritating, you might shut it off and let anyone walk in the door.

if it stays on, the facts can tell you whether there is cause for the alarm (ie. this person always criticizes me) or whether it's your own old stuff (ie this person is kind and caring so the alarm is wrong)

long analogy and long winded way to say you are doing the work.

good for you, staceygirl.

love
kj

Popular Posts