flashback friday (1989)...

November 15, 1989

Sitting in Shakespeare, I can’t stop thinking about last night. What and how do I feel? I’ve been attracted to a man named Brendan for quite some time but have never acted on it because he was too far out – unreachable.

Last night I went to see Brendan’s Senior Production at Cornish. It was an amazing show. Afterwards Kelli, Jason and I were sitting in the Deli when he walked in. I noticed him immediately. He sat across the room. Jason told him what a great show it was and Brendan spoke to Kelli for a minute. I caught him looking at me twice. Once when I was messing with Jason’s sweater and again when I was pulling on my tights.

Kelli and Jason left, followed by Brendan. I was alone when Brendan suddenly returned alone. He stood looking at the posters and then sauntered over to me. I told him I loved his show and we introduced ourselves. I stumbled over my words unable to form a coherent sentence like my tongue was too big for my mouth.

I haven’t felt that giddy in a long time and the energy was indescribable. There was a wanting to know each other but loss of words to do so. Perhaps in time, he is moving in with my good friend Twylla.


Brendan did move in with my friend. We created a lot of memories together. The furniture from my childhood home was their living room furniture. (I can’t remember how that happened.) We celebrated his twenty-first birthday, New Year’s Eve, early career successes and were all frustrated when his bike got stolen.

We never got over being slightly uncomfortable with each other. I always had a crush on him. Once, he offered to help me with my monologue for drama class, I was beside myself - way too shy. Can you imagine Brendan helping me with my acting? Even back then he was a bit of a “star.” He was definitely something special.

When he moved to LA we lost touch. I ran into him in the elevator at Seattle’s International Film Festival a few weeks before I moved to LA in 1997. We exchanged numbers and we spoke a few times when I first moved down but then he got married and became an even bigger success with THE MUMMY.

The last time I saw him was probably five years ago at Gulfstream in Century City. I went up to say hi and as always, my tongue suddenly grew too big for my mouth. I’m sure the guys at the table with him thought it was because he was “BRENDAN FRASER” but I knew it was because it was how it had always been. We reminisced and had a laugh and said good-bye.

Comments

GYPSYWOMAN said…
don't you love those warm and fuzzy flashbacks! you go, girl! thanks for sharing!
Boozy Tooth said…
Oh. My. God. Seriously? Seriously Brendan Fraser?

I just fainted.
At first I thought, Oh she just put up a pic of Brenden Fraser cause the guy in the story'ss named Brenden. Then, (I'm slow sometimes), I realized you were talking about "that Brenden". A fun glance into your past.
Are you SERIOUS!!?!?!?! HOLY COW, girl!! Lucky you! :)
Natalie said…
Wow! SERIOUSLY?!? That is too cool.
Deb said…
Great memories! He is a sweetie, I love him in the Mummy movies.
MsTypo said…
You knew Brendan Fraser? Wow! Are you Canadian?
He was impossibly handsome as a young man, wasn't he?
Brian Miller said…
oh wow. what a cool story!
Mike said…
I know a Doug fraser! He sells cars! LOL! I do have a stepbrother in the movie industry though, seriously!
So, he went to L.A. You went to L.A. Neither one followed the other. C'est la vie!
Anonymous said…
OMG! YOUR LIFE.....amazing! I love this man, always have had a bit of a man crush on him....even his flops I love, gods and monsters is one of my all time favs.....oh Stacey, you are an amazing woman, who has lived an amazing life.....I cant wait till we can chat;)

peace
Tabitha Bird said…
What a great story stacey :)
What a cool post! Thanks for sharing, wow you live in LA, oh the nice weather!!

Of course running into Brendan Fraser ain't bad either!
You've had some amazing experiences, Stacey. If you believe in past lives, I reckon there's definitely some deeper connection between you two. My imagination is working overtime! ;-) xx
JenJen said…
How incredibly sweet and innocent and glorious!
Susan R. Mills said…
I'm so jealous!!!! I bet you wish you'd made out with him when you had the chance. :)
Wow! What a cool story.... I think most women have a crush on him. His movie Blast From the Past is one of my all time favorites.

Hugs and love,
T
Anonymous said…
Stacey, that is legendary flashback.
Gaia said…
wow Brenden Fraer, one of my favrites. He's the humble sort right?
Tracie said…
How cool is that? I always thought he was cute.
This is a great reminiscence even if it wasn't starring Brendan Fraser.

You must have some kind of karma to gether. Maybe next life?
Tina Lynn said…
That was amazing. Thanks for the peek into your life. Wow...
Nice to read, dear friend! Thanks for sharing. Take care! :)
Captain Dumbass said…
That was a pretty cool flashback.
Sahildeki Ev said…
ITs so cool... I love him..
Nessa said…
Funny how some people make us speechless due to who they are and not "who they are." It's the way our energies affect each other.

Long Overdue
Zuzana said…
Wow, Brendan Fraser. Wow again. I had a crush on him too, he is in my book one of the most appealing actors.;) So; wow! third time.
So enjoyed reading this.;)
xo
Unknown said…
I agree with Oh My Goddess, it's karma, all of it. And a great post to boot!
Renee said…
Lucky, I think he is gorgeous.

Love Renee xoxo
steven said…
stacey j warner - what an amazing flashback. i have those in my head and let them muzz and thrash around for a while a little like sleeping in on a saturday morning. nice and warm and selfish........ steven
MG Higgins said…
What a lovely memory! And how interesting that you knew he was something special before he found fame. I think fame is like that--it carries a distinct vibe.
Shadow said…
you know brendan fraser, wow!
nollyposh said…
Hee! Hee! Warm fuzzy boy feelings X:-)
Mary RC said…
have you ever listened to his perfomance on the audiobook Ink Spell? Oh its outstanding, I have a newfound respect for him because of it...
Anonymous said…
It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

Popular Posts