flashback friday (2007)...

'How to Marry A Nice Guy When All You Really Want is an Asshole...' November 30, 2007

It’s finally raining in LA. It’s far overdue. I relish the rain. It’s calming and cozy and makes me want to snuggle up under a blanket and read books. The rain is what I miss most about Seattle.

Last night I went to get my hair done. This has become an every six week ritual because I have bleached short hair – aka, expensive hair. Maxi, my stylist, is a twenty-six year old single mom, helicopter pilot, and entrepreneur. She lives life passionately and always has a good story to tell. Last night was no different.

For the past few months I’ve been hearing about her tryst with a very hot LA photographer. This guy turns her crank like no other. He has complete control over her. Its torture –I’ve been there. After putting bleach on my hair she showed me pictures of her hot guy. I took one look at him and said, “He’s an asshole.”

“How do you know?” She screamed.

“You can see it in his eyes.”

“I know but I can’t get enough of him.”

“Been there done that.”

I Googled my gorgeous-unattainable-divine-actor-ex-asshole. Several super hot pictures popped up along with a few fan sites.

“Whhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy?” She whined. “Why assholes?”

“This is not an easy question to answer,” I said as I walked back to my perch looking like the Heat Miser from The Year without a Santa Claus.

I had dated a lot of assholes but why? Perhaps I was enraptured by their brilliance and beauty, two things I didn’t believe I had. I also wasn’t ready for the real deal so dating the unattainable was fun and kept me from having to deal with anything beyond the chase. Looking back, the affairs were ensconced with pain. I wasn’t happy. I was lying to myself.

My phone rang. It was MM (boyfriend at the time).

“Did you get my text,” he asked.

He’d sent me a text earlier that said, “I’m so glad to have found you. You were just what I was in need of. I’ll talk to you soon.” I had read it but wasn’t sure how to respond so I didn’t.

“I’m falling in love with you so I’m a little sensitive, like a school girl,” he said.

Maxi pointed to the sink.

“Oh, I’m in the middle of getting my hair done. Can I call you back?” I hung up the phone and enthusiastically told Maxi what he had said.

“I’d run to the hills if my guy said that to me,” she said.

She wasn’t ready and yet she still was tortured by her guy. Dating assholes is a phenomenon that’s impossible to understand.

I told Maxi the only words of wisdom I have are these, don’t settle and believe you deserve to be loved. Until then have fun and don’t worry about it. It’s all resolving itself. The man of your dreams is making his way towards you and you’ll hear him coming. When the time is right, he’ll knock on your door.


I've wanted to write a book called 'How To Marry A Nice Guy When All You Really Want Is An Asshole' since I was 26. Perhaps someday I will.

Comments

What a great post and oh so true. My own Mr Right came knocking on my door when it was exactly the right time. Up until then, I was a loser magnet and I must have somehow wanted it that way.

I could write a book on that topic!
JenJen said…
Well hell, couldn't we all? :)
Brian Miller said…
i imagine it would be a best seller...

have a great weekend stacey!
Maude Lynn said…
I think you should. That is one great title!
steven said…
i really enjoyed this sweet and sour post stacey. i see assholes on a regular basis and they're always in relationships - how is that?! steven
Anonymous said…
I don't mean to ignore the crux of your posting, really I don't - but does ANYONE in LA have just the one job? I mean - your hairdresser at the time - hairdresser, helicopter pilot, person of enterprise etc...

That was my first thought. Second, as always, was that this is another great offering.
Anonymous said…
The title is so good, it would probably get you a contract.
La Donna Welter said…
I would buy this book!!!!!!!
Mike said…
I'm here! I'm here!!!!!!!

Oh sorry, I thought that someone was looking for an asshole! HAHAHA!

That would be a great book!
I know! What is it about those guys who we should run away from, and end up running straight to?

That would be a great book to read!
Susan R. Mills said…
Oh, you should definitely write that book. Do you know how many copies you could sell? Everyone feels that way.
I married a nice guy who is sometimes an asshole, but aren't they all that way when it comes down to it?

Nice-ish a-holes.

*rolls eyes*

I'm just a little irritated with my mister at the moment.
I can totally relate to you. I have been treated like crap so much, that I can TOTALLY spot an A.H. a mile away!!!

Happy Weekend! :)
Shadow said…
mmmm, we all have to date an asshole, i think its a law of the universe...
Another great post, Stacey. And, a great book title! You have many books in you waiting to be written. Make that `someday' soon! ;-) Have a great weekend. x
Nessa said…
I love the title.

I think we want assholes because of the huge adrenaline rush they create in us. We are always so very high. We all know chemical highs are very bad for us but they are so very addicting.

Silly Saturday #7 - Charm or Chores?
Zuzana said…
Yes, there is something to that.And I think that title is perfect.;)
xo
Zuzana
Deb said…
I love the title! And I'd love to see the final product!
GYPSYWOMAN said…
oh, i was going to jot down a quick comment, but i thought i heard my door bell ring.......
:)

neat post, lady!
Gaia said…
This is interesting, I am not sure how to respond after reading this post. What is it I want? I have no idea too.. perhaps I would run just like you did. Perhaps way back when, it was fairytale. Now its reality. It did not turn out good the first time, what makes me think it will be good anytime!!!

Now that is lacking in faith! Bless you Stacey.
Kathleen said…
And for some of us, the book would be: "How the Nice Guy I Married Turned Into An Asshole."

Followed 30 years later by: "How Changing Myself Turned A Former Asshole Back Into the Nice Guy He Always Was"

LOL!!!!!

Seriously, as a former book publisher, I think you're on to something!
MsTypo said…
Maybe it's just because i'm in a rotten mood but i think there's a little bit of as$hole in all men. But hey there's a bit of the bitch in all women too, so whom am i cast aspersions.

Great post! :D
Chuck Dilmore said…
on so many levels
i love this! and
learned
from
it~

Chuck
Tracie said…
That is a fantastic title! In my 20's I dated a guy who was so pretty, it looked like I won him in a raffle. (He was a complete asshat.)

Popular Posts