the cliff...

            
“I dreamed I fell off a cliff,” Goom said the other morning when I woke him up.

            “You did? Well you’re safe now,” I said soothing his hair and giving him a kiss.  I’d dream I fell of a cliff too if I’d spent the night at your father’s, I thought as I  smiled kissing his hand.

            “What happens if you fall off a cliff?” He asked looking down on me from his loft bed.

            “You get hurt.”

            “Is there blood?”

            “There can be.”

            “What if there’s water at the bottom?”

            “You might get less hurt.”

            “Would you die?”

            “Possibly.”

            “I hung on to a thing that was sticking out.”

            “Good that means that you will be able to take care of yourself, even when you feel unsafe,” I said helping him down.

            Goom grabbed my neck and flung his legs around me from the top rung of his ladder –a morning ritual even at the age of seven.

            “What happens if you fall with someone?”

            “You feel less scared.” I said carrying him to the living room feeling his bedtime warmth wrap itself around me.

            And then it dawned on me. Sometimes life can feel like a free-fall and having someone next to you for support can make it all feel a little safer.  I’ve never experienced this. I’ve either been single, dating or in a relationship that made my life a little less safe. I didn’t feel this with my family.  Now, I get glimmers of this with The Captain but just glimmers.  Our relationship is still new and we are still getting to know each other.  Gone are the days of leaving my heart on the doorstep without knowing the person I’m leaving it with.  The blind faith of the Fool has been replaced with the knowledge of the Magician. 

            “If you fell off a cliff.  I’d fall with you,” I said holding him with the morning sun cleansing our spirits.



Comments

Oh, tender moments sharing fear and trust and love. Much love in these rituals.
Anonymous said…
what beauty in this morning ritual....the love and support between you and your son is awe inspiring....so tender, the way he knows he can talk to you about anything, truly magical.

Being along on this journey of growth you are going through is truly a priveledge, thank you friend.
kj said…
and where goom is concerned you are the empress.

you are wise to take your time, stacey. i learned that the hard way. sometimes, it's best to hold your heart in safe keeping.

love this post. your boy is a doll.

love
kj
that's beautiful!

xo
Elise
How beautifully and wisely you handled his questions (fears). So tender and inspiring.
Bev said…
We learn so much seeing the world through our children's eyes and answering the questions we ourselves haven't asked in a long time.
GYPSYWOMAN said…
beautiful story on so so many levels, stacey! many layered and beautifully told! and a beautiful spirit, little goom!
What a great post that pricked my heart/sould in good ways....and bad ways. Ugh! Thank you for sharing such a moment with us.
Barbara said…
You made Goom feel safe, something no one else has been able to do for you. That is your wonderful gift to him as his mommy. What a lucky boy he is to have you in his life.
Your heart is becoming safe within your own embrace, because of the love you and Goom share.

I'm fascinated with your responses, and how they lead his questions. What if your first response was, "what was is like?"

Maybe he wasn't afraid. “I hung on to a thing that was sticking out.”

This is a potent story, thanks!
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brian Miller said…
beautiful stacy...fall with him..smiles.
A beautiful and inspiring post, Stacey. Love & bright wishes. xx
nollyposh said…
OmgoodneSS what a beautiful little story... i <3 beautiful liTTle stories x
Boozy Tooth said…
Sigh.

Having someone to fall with, is the greatest gift ever. Whether it's off a cliff or into love. And really... what's the difference.

I'm so glad you have Goom and he has you and you both have the Captain. Don't worry about the "glimmers" Stacey... those have a wonderful way of blooming into pure radiance. You'll see.
Nevine Sultan said…
So many beautiful thoughts here, Stacey. And as long as you and Goom have one another, there is comfort on a rainy day.

Nevine

Popular Posts