happily ever after...

A week ago Monday, I went to Breck’s Monday Night Conversation. Breck is my life coach. The theme of the evening was,

“You cannot become who you want to be by denying who you are: your deficiencies, competencies, age, health, history, and resources. There's a difference between being unreasonable and unrealistic, demanding versus deluding, and confronting versus ignoring.

Positive thinking is an attempt to deny our truths by leaving us with fantasies. And since our fantasies must die in order for our dreams to come true, positive thinking is a step in the wrong direction.”

Fascinating -especially since I’ve been analyzing the concept of fantasies vs. dreams for the past couple of months. However his concept was a bit different. His was, given what we have, what is really possible? For example, is it realistic that that I get into a “happily ever after” relationship? Not really. I have no track record of this. Honestly I have no track record of anything that resembles a healthy mature relationship. I’ve either been single or “strangled.”

I don’t always speak during these events but that night I did. I hoped for some insight regarding my last relationship. I wanted to know if I got out because of my “image/ego” or was the reason I got out valid. “Valid” was the response I got but I also got the question, “Are you okay with the possibility of no relationship?” Now, if Breck had asked me this a year ago, I would have pouted and cried. Or even worse I would have poo-pooh’d the very idea as blasphemy. But now, I can honestly say, “Yeah, I’m perfectly okay with the possibility I will not be in a relationship.” This is quite a break through for a desperate girl who thought a man would make her happy. I have found so much freedom. This shift has been amazing…death to the idea that happily ever after can only happen with a prince.

My life is about being fully expressed. Perhaps one day I’ll meet a man who turns me on and I turn him on and we do pretty good together so we both stick around but until then, I’m happy and I’m done thinking I’m going to be any happier when I get me a husband.


Comments

Brian Miller said…
wise words...and sweet freedom...
Anonymous said…
freedom, what a wonderful place to be.

thank you for your openess, it really helps;)
xxx said…
i'm totally with the concept that positive thinking can be a blanket to cover the manure.
it doesn't mean that positive thinking is negative, but you do have to recognise the other side of the coin.

freedom is a simple thought in the mind... and it sounds like your thinking free ;)

love to you Stacey
and thanks again for all that you share. x ribbon
Anonymous said…
Bravo!
and let me be the first to say,...

having a husband isn't a garden path to happily ever after... :)
Bev said…
Hmmm, very deep, I'm going to have to think on this a while...
Mike Clelland! said…
I haven't commented in a long time.

10 years ago I was coming out of a long and extremely challenging time in my life. I suffer from bouts of severe clinical depression.

I was trapped in a head space where I painted a picture of myself being somehow unworthy, or too tied-up in knots to have a girlfriend.

At that point (the fall of 1999) I realized I was doing okay emotionally. And I said to myself - actually I DECLARED to myself - that it didn't matter. I was fine, I was a perfectly wonderful person, and my value or self-worth as a human had NOTHING to do with having a girlfriend. It was an even-keeled thing to say, and I meant it.

Later that day (yes - that SAME day) I met a woman named Cara, without any fear or trepidation I asked her out, we got along wonderfully, and we had a beautiful relations hip that lasted about 9 months. The break-up was healthy and uncomplicated. Looking back, she was the one perfect person for me in that chapter of my life. She was kind and supportive, and I feel like I was my *best self* during those magical months.

She still lives here in town, and we are still pals.
True and lasting happiness is always an inside job, because even if you find a prince ... life happens and you could lose him ... does that mean all hope of happiness for you is gone? Not if you source your main happiness from within.
I think you're in the right place. IMO, you have to be happy with you before you can be happy with anyone else.

I wish you happiness and love always.

Big hugs!!
Lori ann said…
it's a good thing to understand what works for you, i'm glad for you that you do. the older i get the more i do too.
Anonymous said…
There is a simplicity and gentle truth in what you write. Thank you for writing it.
Humans tend to complicate things. Live first. Live well, every day. Live as though this day is all you have. Love unconditionally, as you love your child, as he loves you. Everything else, is a variation on this theme.

Every other bond is just an approximation.

At times, it feels perfect.
Most times, it comes close.
Some times, it comes apart.

If it comes apart,and it takes too long or too much energy to keep together, it is not meant to be together.

Gee, maybe I should be doing the workshop.

Nah! That means going back to work!

Stacey, just be good to yourself!
Dulçe ♥ said…
Ohhh My dear friend

I am ssoooo much with you. I do not need a man in my life to be and feel fulfilled...As times goes by I realize this is so true and am perfectly ok without anyone by my side... but I truly believe in love... forever? NOPE!

;)
Boozy Tooth said…
Oh Stacey, there beneath all the questions and wonderings is a very strong resilient woman who is leaps and bounds more secure that I ever will be.

Princes are nice, but not always easy to come by. Until yours arrives, just have fun.

Sending you love from the Sunshine State.
Wow. There is so much wisdom in there, Stacey. It's a lesson for us all, I think. :-)
LarryG said…
freedom is over-rated - do you cha cha?
kj said…
stacey, honest to god, almost every time you get me right between the eyes. you are very wise and you write in a way that explains that wisdom so easily.

your blog is one of my favorites.

love
love
kj
Lisa said…
Life is a beautiful mess, love it, enjoy it.
Nishant said…
what a wonderful place to be.
home jobs india
brandi said…
~aaahhh stacey...what a path you are walking...such internal discoveries you keep finding...so much that so many never even try to find or realize or accept...whatever your path, whatever road lies ahead of you...you are walking stronger in mind with such grace and peace within...happiness truly comes from ourselves...another just enhances those such feelings and characteristics...whatever may come to be i wish you all my best...thank you so for your hoonest self...its a beautiful person...much l♥ve and light...brightest blessings~
Michael said…
That's a good place to get to, Stacey. but I am confused..maybe I missed some blog posts but I thought you were with someone presently--no single as it were? As it is though, keep plugging along and being real....
Mary RC said…
dreams vs. fantasies... brilliant..
Ronald L. Smith said…
Very astute thinking, Stacey. If it's meant to be...

Ack, that's a cliche.

But it sounds like you have a grip on who you are and what is important to you.

Being in a relationship isn't always the answer. It has to be the right KIND of relationship, something you so eloquently pointed out.

What I wish for you is peace and happiness in whatever form it takes.

Thanks for visiting my blog!
A fabulous turning point, Stacey! This happened to me, too, some years ago. It was only when I was content with being perfectly happy on my own that life changed in a phenomenal way. What's more, as soon as I stopped looking for Mr Right, he appeared! Life is full of wonderful surprises, made even more wonderful when we are open to all possibilities. Love & bright wishes. xx

Popular Posts