what does love feel like?...

Strange question isn’t it –but I’ve been thinking about it lately, wondering about its nuances and textures. In the past year I’ve dated two completely different men and had completely different relationships. The first relationship was extremely passionate, so much so that the first time I saw him I was certain he would be my husband and the first date was like a fairy-tale complete with a Ferris wheel ride but it didn’t last –for many good reasons. We were two very different people, we loved each other but there was no foundation and without a foundation there was nothing to stand on and you can’t exist just on butterfly’s wings alone.

The second relationship lacked passion. After the first date, I wasn’t sure I would see him again but he seemed nice and easy to talk to. I’d been advised to go against my type so I saw him again. There were never butterflies but there was friendship, intimacy and a domestic life. I was fully expressed in the relationship and it was liberating. The foundation was strong but without the butterflies, when times got tough (and things got tough) there were no wings to keeps us flying. We loved each other but without wings we couldn’t fly so the relationship ended

It seems to me that in the beginning of the relationship there needs to be passion, urgency, missing, excitement, all those things because in time it goes away but if it isn’t there in the first place what makes you want to stay with that person? In the first relationship I hoped the passion would take root. In the second relationship I wished the intimacy would take flight. I believe for a relationship to last there has to be equal parts of both.

From both of these relationships I learned to take my time. If I feel the burning flame, I must put it on the back burner to see if it blows out. If there is only a little flame I need to give it a little air to see if it burns. There is no need to rush.

This morning I had a dream that I was in bed with a man that had once been my lover but we had not been together for a long time. We were in bed in a crowded room of strangers (dreams are so obscure) and I remember thinking how much I had missed his touch and the weight of his body. I missed his kiss, smell, and skin -his very essence. With him, I felt at peace. The moment held everything, intimacy, passion, love, kindness, desire and playfulness. I was fulfilled.

I am thankful for this dream. I now hold that feeling inside and even though I wasn’t able to recognize the man in my dream. I will be able to recognize the feeling.


Comments

Mr. Charleston said…
I don't believe you can experience love in six months. Or even a year. Passion, friendship, yes. But real love, the kind that sees you through anything, develops over time. Shared experiences, laughter and pain.

Having said that, I've failed miserably at it anyway.
Anonymous said…
It seems to me that in the beginning of the relationship there needs to be passion, urgency, missing, excitement, all those things because in time it goes away but if it isn’t there in the first place what makes you want to stay with that person? In the first relationship I hoped the passion would take root. In the second relationship I wished the intimacy would take flight. I believe for a relationship to last there has to be equal parts of both.
PERFECTLY SAID MY FRIEND! :)
Dulçe ♥ said…
Oh YES!
There is only ONE feeling like that... and it's unique. We can not force ourselves to feel it. either it is or it is not.
I love those butterflies... but how much pain they also bring in their wings, many times... don't you think my dear friend?

Lovely post
:)
kj said…
jeez stacey, you won't believe this: i had a dream just like that this week too. jeez.

this is an incredible piece of writing. your metaphors are incredible. wings and roots. that's what you're trying to give goom and what i hope i gave my jessica.

i agree with everything you said about passion. it doesn't last as it begins but without it you (the collective 'you') might be just as happy with a beloved friend, or sister.

i am going to reread this post of yours a few more times. it is exceptionally wise and exceptionally well written.

love love
kj
steven said…
stacey i echo steven anthony's comment. it develops though as this is the very first metaphoric layer/phase/experiencing of love. love connects everything and to approach any sort of understanding of that truth you need to experience what you describe here so well. the richness of love that is as close to unconditional as is humanly possible - well it takes time. steven
You know I don't know what the secret formula is. My husband and I shared great passion when we were first dating but have settled into a more comfortable life now that we have a daughter. The passion seems to have taken a back seat to parenting and it doesn't help that we are older parents so what energy we do have is zapped by our daughter. Hopefully as she gets older and less demanding, we can reconnect and rekindle that flame.
Brian Miller said…
true love takes time...that said i knew the moment i saw her...but real love took a while...
Claus said…
I really liked reading your input on this, as I honestly haven't felt in love ever. I have had crushes, but I do believe that love is a completely different feeling. Or isn't it? I'm still waiting for a special inner something, or a sing of some sort that will let me know that I am in love. What an intriguing feeling.
You have the analysis down pat; but, nothing comes so well packaged. Finding someone to share a life with is about committing to work it out. It's the working out that's the hard part.
Oh, Stacey, that was truly beautiful. There is so much wisdom in this post. I got goosebumps reading it. :-)
I have no idea but I know that when I feel it, I feel good.

Hugs and love,
T
xxx said…
To me love is a feeling of freedom.

xoxo love to Stacey ;)
Tracie said…
This reminds me of Golidlocks. It's very hard to find the one that is 'just right'.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GYPSYWOMAN said…
ah, that magnificent animal "passion" - always has to come first with/for me! great post!
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
steveroni said…
Love in all it's forms and phases feels to me like nothing else...because it is as close to God as I can get. God IS love. All of Creation is a manifestation of God's love. Human love, one for another, is a "giving" of oneself to the other, a GIFT. That's IT!

PEACE!
Maude Lynn said…
You've expressed this so beautifully!
Anonymous said…
Stacey, that is lovely, I can almost feel your dream.

Secretia
Michael said…
that's a great ending to a very reflective, well written post. love this Stacey. I cold relate to a lot of it in fact.

Popular Posts