house of joy...


Friday night, the Captain, Goom and I went to The House of Blues on Sunset to see my boss’s band called Petty Theft, a Tom Petty cover-band. However, we had to go under the guise that it was just “dinner” because Goom had expressed a fear of live music.

Now, you might be wondering who the Captain is? Well, the Captain is my boyfriend. Yes, I have boyfriend. Saying it makes me giggle a bit. I’m still getting use to the idea but it has been unfolding in the most profound and surprising way. I feel very lucky and blessed but I will tell you more about that later. As for Goom’s fear of live music, I have no idea where it stems from but I can guess.

Back at the House of Blues Goom, the Captain and I sat down for dinner and immediately started the process of calming Goom’s live music nerves. There was a curtain dividing the space between where we were eating and where the band was going to play, which helped us ease into the situation. Soon I saw my boss and asked if he’d come over to say “Hi” in hopes it might help Goom conquer his fears.

As the band started to warm up Goom would peek through the curtain to see what was going on. Progress was being made. By the time dinner was done I was pretty sure we were going to have success. We crossed over to the other side with a few friendly nudges and a lot of loving support. Unbeknownst to me several friends from work (with their kids) were already anticipating the bands start. This helped Goom even more. Seeing other kids was proof it might not be too scary.

Before the band started, Goom ran out of the room a couple more times but with a little gentle and loving coaxing from the Captain, by the time the band took stage Goom was sitting front and center, just feet away from the stage. When my boss took stage, with blond wig, top hot and Tom Petty’s token round sunglasses, Goom sat mesmerized and didn’t move. He watched taking it all in flanked by the Captain and me.

When it was over Goom wondered when my boss was going to be on stage. He didn’t realize that he had been on stage the whole time in “disguise”. We all laughed, including my boss. After saying our good-byes we drove home with an enthusiastic Goom telling us he wanted to go see live music all the time.

The next morning Goom said, “I learned a big lesson last night. When you have a good team behind you, it is easier to be brave.”

I couldn’t think of a wiser thing to say...and how blessed are we that the Captain has become a part of our team.

Comments

GYPSYWOMAN said…
oh, what a neat neat story of goom's growin' up! and his wisdom beyond his years! sounds like a great wonderful evening for him and for you and the new captain -

speaking of the captain - so happy that you have found that certain someone to become a part of yours and goom's team!!! good for you!!!

bestest best wishes, lady!
What a cool post. #1 - I am so glad that you have found Captain and that he is good to you. I'm looking forward to hearing more. #2 - So glad that Goom was able to tackle his fears with a group of his fans that love him so much. :)
Anonymous said…
“I learned a big lesson last night. When you have a good team behind you, it is easier to be brave.”
Out of the mouths of babes;)
Go team captain, congrats on the bf and on helping goom get over his fear, well done.
steven said…
"the captain"? well fill us in on the moniker and then dirt!!! lots of it!!! happy days girl. steven
Ah, one more feather on Goom's cap. Wise person.
xxx said…
Stacey... I like the way you have introduced the Captain into your blog :)

by the way I must tell you that for a short time I thought that it was the Captain running in and out of the room and peeking behind the curtain. I'm laughing while I'm writing this.

Happy for you that you are happy with him.

Love to you Stacey and yes there is much to learn from our wise children :)

xx Ribbon
xxx said…
ps.. I think my comment just went into space without me.
I hope it arrives safely

x Ribbon
Stacey, that sounds like it was a smashing success and please share about this maybe boyfriend! I'm so happy for you!
What a wonderful story -- good going, Goom! And if your new BF is The Captain, does that make you Tenille? (Ha ha, hope you're old enough to get that old gag). And "Petty Theft" -- very clever, LOL! Will it stop Tom Petty from seeking royalties for commercial use of his music?
Brian Miller said…
that left me with a great big smile. my boys have been enamored with live msuic since a young again. so glad he stuck it out...and had the loving support behind him.
Sounds like a fun night. How awesome! I want to hear more about your boyfriend!

Hugs!!
kj said…
aaaw, stacey girl, love is in the air.....

:)
Anonymous said…
I'm a little excited about the boyfriend news!

Secretia
Love the re-do!
Very eye popping.
Boozy Tooth said…
WTG Goom! {I love that name. Wonder the origin?}

Sometimes fears spring from the most unexpected places. So glad you tenderly brought him around. And I couldn't help but giggle at the Tom Petty gig. Did you know Tom is from Gaineslville, Florida? Home of the almighty Florida Gators? You know the Gators? The ones who lost the SEC Championship to Alabama yesterday? :(

Glad someone had an awesome evening.

Love you Stacey!
Rah! Rah! Yeah Team!

Glad Goom's into live music now, there's something so personal and awesome about it. You're on the road to more adventures together!
Nevine Sultan said…
Congratulations on finding your Captain, Stacey! And it's great that everyone is happy together, and having a great time. Sounds good and joyful and smiley!!!

Nevine
Michael said…
Wise wrods from Goom here and glad to learn about this Captain. Funny as i follow another blog (one of my top faves(, i think you would LOVE called http://29blackstreet.blogspot.com where Susan, the blog author, writes of her man, "the Cowboy." So now i have two peeps to read of, but better not get the two mixed up. Anyway, check Susan's out, I just know you two would connect well.

I like your redesign btw.
Thats a beautiful piece of short story from your life. Congrats to Goom for conquering his fear. And, Congrats to you for your Captain. ;)
Zuzana said…
I am so excited to learn more about the Captain one of these days.;)
xo
Zuzana
Tracie said…
That was a great story! I'm glad you have the Captain on your team and that you have such a wise, whitty kiddo.
JenJen said…
How old is Goom?

I love this!!
Claus said…
What an interesting fear...and so glad he successfully overcame it!! Good for him. Congrats on the Captain! Good for you! :-)
Season's Greetings!
Robin Amos Kahn said…
Such great wisdom. Thanks for sharing that, Stacey.
I see that your son takes after you for his wisdom. So excited to hear about the Captain in your life, Stacey. How wonderful! Love, Love, Love all the way. :-) xx
Anonymous said…
Stacey,Your Blog has brought warmth to my heart a a tear to my eye..... XO "The Captain"

Popular Posts