a brief history of my spiritual journey, part 2...


In high school I became agnostic, sometimes atheist. I was also attracted to Communism. It was the 80’s and Reagan didn’t make sense to me.

I still sometimes went to church with my family. I did not take communion. I no longer believed and I did not want to belittle their ritual. I told my family I was no longer a Christian.

A piece of them stopped loving me.

The church was a hypocrite. Dogma was it's conspirator. I'd rather give to a homeless man than to the bureaucracy of the church. The forests, the lakes, the land were where I found God.

My parents got divorced again when I was eighteen. I moved out. I was faithless.

The Dark Ages lasted seven years.

At twenty-five I dated a man who read tarot and rode the cosmic wave. He was free, easy, drenched in Catholic Mysticism and grew marijuana. I relaxed.

A year later he broke my heart and I had a vision.

Around this time I read The Alchemist. It changed my life. I was reawakened. I was hungry.

I read everything, Jung, Thomas Moore, books on Alchemy, the Templars, I studied the Tarot, I read Holy Blood, Holy Grail, Gnostic Gospels, the Zohar, the Kabbalah, Mists of Avalon, Zen Buddhism, everything by the Dali Lama, Women Who Run with the Wolves, etc.

At twenty-seven I took my first yoga class. Four years later, I decided to become a yoga teacher.

I never stopped reading books on all spiritual disciplines.

I was practicing or teaching yoga at least thirty hours a week but something in me was not content. I was in constant meditation but not happy. I planned to move to Bali.

During this time, I began to lose touch with reality. The world felt less solid. I was afraid. To ground myself I had sex with an ex-boyfriend. I got pregnant.

Kerplunk!

I didn’t move to Bali. I had a baby. I stumbled around for two years, picking up the pieces. Then I met Mia.

They say when the student is ready, the teacher appears. I was ready.

This is where the real work began.

to be continued tomorrow…

Comments

Mike Clelland! said…
you wrote:
"A year later he broke my heart and I had a vision."

What was the vision? I'm genuinely curious.
Mike said…
I hope that you did not lose any followers talking about this! That would be really silly of someone:(

(In response to your comment on my site)
The Watcher said…
I feel I know you a little better now.
Thesauros said…
"To ground myself I had sex with an ex-boyfriend"

I've always thought doing those kinds of things made life less stable, not more. Did someone suggest that would be a healthy thing to do?
Books were an important part of my spiritual journey too. Your pregnancy may have been unplanned, but I'm sure your son has been a blessing to your journey too!
Such honest revelation. Very brave.
Ekanthapadhikan said…
That's quite a story put in so little words. And I really appreciate your candidness in admitting things that went wrong for you. Maybe your yoga is paying off. You seem to be away from your ego.
Goom, my baby, is my greatest teacher. We are simpatico and we have a profound and deep love for each other.

Just this morning when he was in the kitchen with his hair a mess druling over the syrup on his waffle, I gave thanks for him. He is a blessing.

much love to all...

p.s. having sex with an ex to ground youself is never advisable...LOL! but sometimes there are gifts like a goom but still not advisable...
I find you fascinating. I can't wait to read where you ended up. I've done a lot of spiritual travelling myself.

Hugs!!
Tess Kincaid said…
Okay, now I'm really curious. I'll be back for tomorrow's chapter!
Brian Miller said…
intrigued...and you left us wanting...my shadow period lasted about years...a lot of sex drugs and rock n roll trying to fill the void...waiting anxiously for part 3...
Looking forward to the next installment.
Paul Greci said…
I like your writing style and am intrigued by your story. Thanks for putting yourself out there.
Great post! Planned or not, you and your son chose each other.
Anonymous said…
seriously Stacey, u must make your life a movie! much love;)
Tracie said…
I love reading your story! I feel like you could expand this into a book. You have lived some life, lady!
Renee said…
Oh the Alchemist how can anyone read that and be left untouched.

Love Renee xoxo
Anonymous said…
Stacey, you excellent wtiter, i can't wait to read you tomorrow!

Fascinating first page!!

Secretia
Roni Loren said…
See this is why I gave you the honesty award. :) I'll be tuning in tomorrow.
Gaia said…
Lovely... ok need to get to the end, can't wait. Blessings
Hi Stacey, thanks so much for finding my blog and directing me to yours :)

I'm going to enjoy this, you really should check out my sister's blog which is very similar, a direct link to her is on the right margin of my blog.

Love this, my sister and I talk about this stuff for hours, usually over a few glasses of wine.
Maude Lynn said…
I can't wait to read more!
You opened yourself up to all wisdom, from all sources. The journey is never easy.
kj said…
man on man, you can write!

stacey, we're new to one another. i won't pretend to know: who is mia?

i read the tarot.

xoxo
Susan R. Mills said…
That romp with the ex may have been a mistake, but the result was such a reward, wasn't it? I love your open and honest posts. If you lost a follower because of it, you probably didn't need them following anyway. We all have our own beliefs, our own opinions, our own spirituality. I may or may not agree with yours, and you may or may not agree with mine, but that doesn't mean we can't still be friends, right? I'm looking forward to the next installment. :)
Natalie said…
I'm with Susan! People can have different beliefs and still be friends. It's so interesting to get to know you better!
Captain Dumbass said…
It's an interesting journey, I'll be back tomorrow.
Odd Jeppesen said…
This is one of those things I can't stop reading. I've stumbled along my own path for even longer than you. I'm waiting for the revelation, both yours and mine.
My philosophy is we are all spiritual beings having a human experience to become more spiritual. You are expressing and sharing all three - beautifully!

On a side note: I was taught children are gifts from God and since those little angels were in direct contact with God prior to birth, they choose the parent. Now how's that feel? Goom pointing at you from above - and hence - sex with the ex. LOL!
Becky said…
Very interesting. I love reading about other people's spiritual journeys. In fact I recently finished reading a book, titled, "Mystic in a Minivan" by Kristen White that was about a woman's journey to enlightenment. I learn so much by reading about others. Would be very interested in hearing more about your spiritual journey.
Wow, Stacey! I relate to so much of your incredible journeys that it doesn't surprise me in the slightest how we have come to connect through the great realm of cyberspace. I look forward to the next part! xx
f8hasit said…
That was well said. Now more please.
:-)
Unknown said…
What a fascinating journey you're taking us all on; I can't wait to read tomorrow's post.
Would also like to know of your vision, if you care to share.
Nessa said…
I much prefer Spirituality to religion any day.

Thursday Thirteen - Fiendish Facts
Betty Manousos said…
You could write a book about these stories of your life.
They are very interesting. And the writing style is fantastic!
Q: What was the vision?
hugs hugs
Please try reading Sam Harris' The End of Faith.
Claus said…
"The church was a hypocrite. Dogma was it's conspirator. I'd rather give to a homeless man than to the bureaucracy of the church. The forests, the lakes, the land were where I found God."

...so connected with this paragraph. Interesting journey so far. I wonder about the following part.
Deb said…
Wow Stacey, you've been on one incredible journey! Enjoying the series, looking forward to more.
Maria said…
This is fascinating!
Anonymous said…
very well information you write it very clean. I'm very lucky to get this info from you.

Popular Posts