hopeless romantic...

I’ve always known I’m a hopeless romantic, a little bit sappy and extremely passionate but the other night while watching Brothers and Sisters I started to wonder if I wasn’t becoming delusional and slightly insane.

One of the storylines was about Sarah; recently back from France, telling her holiday romance story to Kitty while Kitty received chemo treatments. (I know! The drama! Can you believe I watch this stuff? But this isn’t why I thought I was insane.) Sarah’s romance went a little something like this, while she was in the French countryside she gets lost but finds herself at a barn where she hears someone inside and hopes to get directions. She knocks on the barn door and (swoon) Gilles Marini opens the door. He is a chiseled statue of a god with pouty eyes and yummy lips and of course he’s a PAINTER. (Swoon again) This is my fantasy and probably every other woman’s but it’s a good one.

Sarah and Sexy God banter back and forth as in all good “meet cutes” and then their torrid romance continued with white wine picnics and sketching in the grass before kissing endlessly.

Their story was made to look like an old French film, shot in 16mm style with dewy soft lighting and French music playing in the background. It was a romance novel come to life and so much fun to watch in all its glorious cheesiness. (This is when I started to think I might be losing my mind.) I was hooked.

What was my problem? I’ve seen lots of good looking men. I’ve dated lots of good looking me. I’ve watched endless love scenes on TV and film and here I was honestly feeling like a school girl longing for her first kiss. I was charged and turned on and had no idea why. Was it the guy, the romance? What?

So today I Googled Gilles Marini to see if there was something about him? As I looked carefully at the photos it dawned on me. He resembles my ex fiancé in the eyes and the mouth. Now don’t get me wrong, the whole package of Gilles is much sexier but MM (AKA ex fiancé) was pretty sexy as well. So Gilles kind of looking like my ex still didn’t account for my heart breaking when his character “cheats” on Sarah by kissing another woman.

I still didn’t know why I was so hooked until I dug a little deeper. My heart needed these characters to be in love and succeed in love. I needed a happy ending because my romance didn’t have one. I’m currently encompassed by my relationship with MM, remembering every detail of how we first met and fell in love because it’s the subject of my book. This is why I am hooked. It is also why I need a man and a woman and a happily ever after. My story had a happy ending but not with a man and a woman walking off into the sunset together.

(Spoiler alert)

You can only imagine my relief when it was revealed that Sarah hadn’t made up the story and the cheating was a lie, the joy that pounced from my heart when Sarah shuffled through the sketches he had actually done of her and then when he knocked on her door and said, “I’m lost,” I bet you can imagine what I did...

I swooned, of course.

Comments

:)

Everybody likes happy endings, though tastes are different.
Anonymous said…
I love bro and sis...great show, Im a little sappy too.....

swoon away my friend, I bet it helps with the book, I still plan on being in the front of the line at your book signing...cant wait;)

peace
Shri, I feel so peaceful when you comment.

Steven, you won't be waiting in any line? Are you kidding me? You'll be at the party, celebrating with me!
Susan R. Mills said…
We all need a happy ending. When it doesn't happen on television, we think it will never happen in real life. I used to watch Brothers and Sisters too. My writing took the place of my tv watching, though, and I haven't seen any this season. Now, I'm wanting to go try and find the reruns.
Boozy Tooth said…
I'm with ya, Stacey.

Gilles is too beautiful for words. And in real life (another spoiler alert), he's a devoted family man.

What's that woosh I hear? Your fantasy deflating? Or madly refilling?

Awesome post.
Zuzana said…
From one hopeless romantic to another; do not ever change, we are a dying out species.;)
Now I do not have anyone in my past that would even slightly resemble Gilles Marini, but he still completely mesmerizes me.;)
Ekanthapadhikan said…
Happy endings are always a happy happy affair. But... More often than not, our real life sucks, isn't it?
Ces Adorio said…
Oh wow. I don't watch television and hardly go to the movies. I watch DVDs of my favorite movies though but I was interested in reading, and gees I read all of what you wrote down here and you made me smile and then I saw that photograph of that man, OMG he looks sexy, he looks like he loves himself too much to notice anyone though.
Jo Potter said…
Hi Stacey,
Great post and yes Gilles Marini is kind of yummy...What a body!!!
I have never seen or heard of him before until I read your post.
It does seem that Italian men are often very good looking. I saw quite a few Italian artists when I visited Tuscany and they were all very attractive.
Oh well...Long sigh...Gilles is too good looking for his own good!;)
Jo May.

P.S. I'm a romantic at heart too!
Robin Amos Kahn said…
Oh, Damn - I went to bed too early and missed the ending! I was so heartbroken that he wasn't going to be on the show again and thought it was a huge waste.

Yay! Thanks for setting me straight.
Unknown said…
Don't watch this but find Gilles very easy to look at!
Brian Miller said…
happily ever after still happens...or maybe i am just a hopeless romantic as well. smiles.
Natalie said…
I love happy endings too, even though my real life love is very happy. I just hate to go to all the trouble of reading a book or watching a movie only to be disappointed in the end.
Betty Manousos said…
You made me smile reading your post.
Happy endings are always a happy affair.
P.S.
Thers's a post on a famous photographer in my blog today.
I'd appreciate it if you can go through it.
xx
Clare said…
I have never seen this show. Will have to start watching. You stopped following... was it something I said? If so, I am sorry and hope that you will tell me so I can correct my ways :(
Anonymous said…
Well heres the rub.

This kind of man just like many "model" types does not have to work on himself...except in the gym. This is problematic, first in the family if the siblings dont resonate the same beauty, in life as he will learn he is "better' by just the role of the good looking dice and the hardest part is the terriffic looks will have confusing consequences for him and others. Craving attention because that is what he is used to.

It is often the type of man a woman who has the self esteem problem of "not being attractive enough" will chose for herself...just like a short bald man will lust after a tall leggy model. We have tendencies to covet what we might think we are missing inside of us. Really we have these qualities, but for what ever pathological reason do not "feel" we actually have. It is very interesting to start to see why one is attracted to another...the beauty of another is an internal fquest, the obvious attractive people make us work harder to understand the void we feel as above average folks.

But then again I could be bitter....
The man who stalked me for three years looks like this guy, my former husband does too....the narcissim as well defined as his abs.
Anonymous said…
If a good looking man shows interest...then it is a form of validation that was not mirrored by the parents.
This is a wound that gets bigger with age.Boys and girls get hard wired by visual and emotional stimuli....if a girl grows up watching soap operas/disney movies,and her fatheror mother never gave her the sense that she was attractve enough...there will be a longing that becomes the unrequited pursuit of prince charming.

Mia
Either that body is a fake or that guy has one helluva diet and exercise regime. And a staff of chefs, trainers etc.

But why is his face a different (deathly) color than "his" body?

If I wasn't into happily ever afters, I would have checked out a long time ago!
Deb said…
Ahh, I love happy endings. I'm a totally hopeless romantic. I don't watch tv but I try to balance my reading to ensure that I get enough HEA in!
None of my exes look like that guy and I swooned too. I get what you mean about being immersed in a story when you're writing it and I can't imagine what it's like re-writing history with your ex, but I think any woman with a heartbeat would swoon over that guy too. ; )
I have never watched bro and sis, but I'm starting to wonder what I am missing out on. You got my undivided attention with this post. Whoah! :)
Clare said…
Goodie! You are one of my favourite bloggers. I am working on a question by the way. Stay tuned....

Clare x
My, my, The Husband, (my guy), looks just like him! And I look like Penelope Cruz!

It's so fun to be swept up in romance, whether it's on the big or small screen, or better yet, in real life.
Anonymous said…
I hope that some of those happy endings come off the screen and play the sappy music for you.
Roni Loren said…
I'm a total sucker for a happy ending, and can get wrapped up in movie/tv show/book like that.

I don't watch bros and sis, but my my what a yummy picture. Whew.
ladytruth said…
That man is a vision! I've stopped watching Brothers and Sisters, but now I might just start again ;)
PixieDust said…
There is a lot to be said for finding validation within the confines of a well-written book, or movie...

:-)

(((hugs))),
me
I have never cared for that show, but this season I am hooked. I don't find him attractive thought??? I know I'm odd :)...I do however have the biggest crush on Madonna's 21 year old boyfriend!! ( who looks like my handyman) anyway, I love the storyline with Calista Flockhart its sad but beautiful at the same time. I am a cancer survivor and was blessed with a big loving family 15 years ago when I wasn't well, so this brings back a lot of memories.
You have a wonderful blog
XX
Bunny
Country Girl said…
I'm swooning here, too. Never watched Bros&Sis, maybe I ought to give it a look.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today, Stacey!

Popular Posts