proud mama...

Rarely do I boast about the Goom. Yes, I think he's amazing but all parents find their children amazing so really it's a boring conversation and usually one sided, even more boring.

For a happy life as a parent the first thing one must learn is not to compare your child with other kids and if a competitive parent comes along do not let them lead you to believe something is wrong with your child (easier said than done). It starts with "Is your child sleeping through the night?" Then moves to, "My child was walking at seven months." Next comes, "My child can say (list of words no one cares about)...." And last but not least "Sammy's been potty trained since he was one and a half." Then once all those milestones are passed you get a break until school. Then it’s "Molly got fifteen goals" Then moves to, "My child's lost four teeth." Next comes, "My child reads five chapters a night." Finally, "My child got all A's so I told her she could have a toy." It's exhausting.

I remember being a new mom and constantly wondering, is my kid all right? Is something wrong because he's one and a half and not walking? Is he saying enough words? Should he be toilet trained by now? Now I find myself wondering. Is he slow because he doesn't know what 3+1='s without using his fingers? Should he be reading chapter books? He’s not interested in getting goals, should I pull him from the team?

Then I take a deep breath (the elixir for everything) and remind myself of the promise I made when Goom was a baby that I would not buy into the idea that faster is better. Goom has his rhythm and I'm here to support him not force him.

I’ve also learned the art of discernment when it comes to friends and have only surrounded myself by the most amazing, loving and supportive people. I was also blessed with great soccer coaches this season that adore Goom’s idiosyncrasies, like running away from the ball. As I cringe on the sidelines, the assistant coach calls him genius. (He is an actor so he gets it).

So with that being said, the one thing Goom loves to do is draw, draw, draw. He doesn’t judge himself or think too much he just does it with wild abandonment.

A few weeks ago his school sent home a flyer about a drawing competition for T-shirts. One drawing would be chosen and put on the school T-shirt. Goom was excited. (He doesn’t tell me anything about school so the fact I knew about it was a big deal.) We sat down and went over what the drawing had to include and away he went. The next morning, we turned it in to the office and forgot all about it.

Until last Friday when Tinks, my neighbor and friend, told me that the finalists were chosen and I dared ask, was there a robot reaching for the stars? Yes, she said but another mom had claimed it as her sons so we weren't sure. So we asked the Goom and Tink's son and they said yes that Goom was a finalist. Goom hadn’t told me! I tell you my kid has no ego; no competitive streak in him, he lives in a quiet confidence that is envied. (Downside, he can manipulate anyone...but that’s a whole other blog.)

I still didn’t really believe it until I went into the school on Monday and there it was “E” hanging in the window. (Goom still didn’t care but I did.) I am so proud of him! Sometimes we just have to celebrate these earthly joys that are bestowed upon us.


Thank you for allowing me to indulge. (I promise it won’t happen often.)

Comments

It's a wonderful drawing! I like the robot's smile, in particular.
Brian Miller said…
so very cool. we all have our own rhythm, allowing our kids to find theirs is great. smiles.
Oh, go ahead. Indulge, talk about your loves. Nothing else will be as exciting.
Zuzana said…
Oh, I think it is so important to be proud of your kids; your love and support is the best foundation for their happiness.;) So worth your indulgence.;)
And proud you should be, that is indeed an inspiring drawing. He will surely go far.;)
xo
Deb said…
That's awesome--congrats to the Goom! And just for the record, I like these feel good stories :)
I would be so proud if Goom was my son. Congratulations to him. He might like the starry photo in my latest post. Yes, Goom, let's all reach for the stars!!!
Anonymous said…
Stacey, Just returning your hello! i feel good that you are carefree!

Stay that way forever!

Secretia
Roni Loren said…
That's a great drawing. :) Good for him.

I hear you on the competitive parents. My child didn't sleep through the night for a LONG time, and he's almost two and has very few words, so i get that question from the other mom's now too. How many is he saying? Grr. So annoying.
Anonymous said…
awwwwww what a proud mama;) How awesome is a mothers love.

Im back, my nephew got things fixed early...;)
Cathy said…
Please indulge yourself! That's what you're here for, isn't that why you made this blog? I love reading about how you relate to Goom and his accomplishments in life so far. You're very maternal and I bow to your sharp instincts in letting your son be himself, no matter how young. This is, to my mind, the time of incredible ideas in the mind of children, and if we just stand back and give them room, what a joy to watch the miracles happen.
And it never stops with the bragging parents, sitting in the old folks home with my dad I would listen to both men and women bragging about their kids and grandkids. Face it, we just can't help it.
Renee said…
Please tell that talented boy that his Mommy's friends think he is such an awesome drawer.

Love Renee xoxo
Anonymous said…
It reminds me of the drawings my boy did when I first arrived on the scene. Happy memories.

I'm with Cathy and the others - write about what you want to. I'm convinced that if you write well, the subject matter isn't as important.
Indulge as much as you want. Conversations about our children are never dull. Many thanks for this gem of a post.

Greetings from London.
Betty Manousos said…
So awesome drawing!!!. I really love child drawings.
Have a great weekend
xx
Betty Manousos said…
Came back to say that i forgot for a minute that we have two days before weekend.
Never mind .My wish comes first!
Anonymous said…
I LOVE THIS....LOOK AT YOUR INCREDIBLE CONTRIBUTION TO LIFE!!

LOVE YOU
MARLA
I hope Goom wins. I wish I could vote! That is adorable. :) Keep us posted.
Natalie said…
That drawing is so cute! I love, love, love kids' art. And to those parents who potty train their kids at 18-months I shake a fist and wish them many years of bedwetting. Just kidding--sort of.
Sahildeki Ev said…
Congrats to Goom.. Very cool painting..
Aine said…
Yay Goom! That's fantastic!

And I hear you about the mom's competition. I usually smile and nod when I meet such moms, sadly thinking of how much need they have for validation. They are scared that their child will be somehow less than others, so they have to point out all the ways that the kid seems to be excelling.

I'm also grateful for what I've learned about personality theory. Because now I can see each child as a fine (healthy) example of an "Artisan" or "Rational" or "Guardian" (for example). All have gifts, or strengths, in how they think and process the world.
PixieDust said…
Please, indulge away! I love hearing the excitement in a parent's voice as they talk or write about their child - it is a thing of beauty to me - and Goom is gifted (seriously, that is a great drawing), and oh, so lovable. Thank you for sharing such a precious moment...

:-)

(((hugs))),
love,
me
ladytruth said…
Sometimes I wish children won't ever grow up. Like my godchildren. Two amazing girls, the one 5 and the other just a little over 1 year old. They see the world in such a different, unique and refreshing way and it's a shame that as they grow up they lose that wonder and awe they are in now of everything and everyone. Sometimes a teacher can kill it, like telling them it doesn't make sense painting the sky pink instead of blue, not asking them why as she would find out it was because that's the way the sky looks when they play outside just as the sun sets. I wish children could always be children, but then again I'm not the mother of those kids! :)

Popular Posts