i am not my mother (thank God)...

Now, don’t get me wrong. I love my mother. She did the best she could for the mother she had, but let’s just say, when I left home at eighteen my tool box was empty. In fact, I didn’t even have a hammer. But that’s ok. All is forgiven. I’m doing great collecting my tools. And let’s be honest if I didn’t have a messed up childhood would I write? Or would I write anything interesting? – Probably not. So thank you, Mom and Dad for messing me up, I have lots of fodder for my blog and books.

With that being said my goal as a mother is not to end up in my child’s memoirs. And there are times when I’m not so sure that’s happening. There are those moments when I think, “Oh God, what am I doing? I’m acting just like my mother!” and I stop myself. But still wonder is it too late? Is the damage already done?

Take for instance the other night when I surprised Goom by saying “Let’s decorate for Halloween!” He’d been dying to ever since our neighbors did. (Damn the Jones’!) When I said it, I wasn’t thinking. There was dinner to cook, homework to correct, mail to go through, and a bath to take. Besides the fact that getting the decorations down from storage is a dirty nasty job. Its times like this when I dream of a good loving (sexy) husband to do the nasty work while I cook a delicious dinner. But alas, it’s all me.

So sweaty, dirty and covered in mouse poop (I said it was a nasty job) I plopped the Halloween boxes on the living room floor. Goom went for it. Witches hats, vampire teeth, skull lights, spider web, and plastic spiders flew everywhere. “STOP,” I yelled. “DON’T MAKE A MESS! IT’S ANNOYING! THERE ARE BREAKABLES! WAIT! WE’LL GO THROUGH IT IN A MINUTE…” –and then I stopped myself. I wasn’t being me. I was being my mother. But it was too late, the damage was done. He sulked off into his room.

I had spoiled his enchanted moment just like my mother always use to do.

What was I thinking? I didn’t care if he rummaged through the boxes and made a mess. It’s easy to clean up. There was nothing irreplaceable or that breakable. I was channeling my mother and I didn’t like it. After a few minutes I asked, “Will you come help me figure out where to put the pumpkins?”

“Sure,” he said coming out of his room smiling as if the previous moment had never happened, (thank God). I hugged him and handed him a pumpkin.

We got up all the decorations that night along with the other things we had to do. I’d love to say I never had another “mom” moment but that would be a lie. I had to bite my tongue several times not to break his spirit and to let him be a kid, like I was never allowed to be.

Comments

Don't be too hard on yourself. You sound like you handled the rest of the evening really well. He loves you!

PS
My daughter and I live with my mom and dad, both of whom are in their mid to late 70's. It is totally why I started blogging.

The other thought I have on the subject is, we all learn so much from our children about who we are as people. You sound like you are a great mom just by virtue of the fact that you are willing to be reflective and to adjust when necessary. Keep the faith!
Shelley said…
You are writing every day! Go girl!
ladytruth said…
I think that's where the difference comes in: you're actually making a conscious attempt at not boxing your child in and it will get easier over time and with more practice. They do say practice makes perfect, right? :)
Stacey, I had a great mom and dad. They were a thorn in my side - and my children would state - I had no clue - because my parents were "unique".

My parents were many things, and "unique" is the classiest term.

You are awesome, MOM, because you know, childhood is short, but the lessons learned - immense.
A fun tale that reminded of a recent book title: 'Your Parent, They F**k Up, Don't They?' :-)

Wish you luck with those decorations.

Greetings from London.
Betty Manousos said…
Hey ,Stacey, there's a award waiting for you!
xxx
Betty Manousos said…
I' sorry , now is fixed!
xxx
It wasn't easy to find all those URLs
Have a fabulous day!
P.S.
If you wish to read some quotes of today there are some on my today's 2nd post.
Deborah said…
Bless your heart. It's hard not to get tied up in the day to dayness of it all, especially when you've just vacuumed the floor. The important thing is that you "caught" yourself. When I do those things, I sit and stew for a few moments over what a jerk I was and then go and say, "Hey, ya know what? That was a pretty jerky thing I just did to you. Come on, let's go back in there and do this thing. We can clean up later." Works like a charm. You seem like a WONDERFUL mother...Stop kicking yourself.
Much Love,
Deborah
JoMo said…
The difference is, you caught yourself & you fixed it...our kids know we are human, you're doing great. We all have to practice being in the moment. Chin up :)
Thank you all for your love...I feel it. Had a huge allergy attack today so now I'm just getting caught up...I hope you all had wonderful days!

much love
Roni Loren said…
I catch myself doing this all the time. Like, wait, did I just say "you're going to poke your eye out with that thing?" You do the best you can. Sometimes, we're going to be less patient with our kiddos than others. It happens, we're human.

Popular Posts