a letter from nigeria...

I would like to share this letter I received from my “sister” in Nigeria. I sponsor her through Women for Women International. Her letter is touching and revealing. She gives us a glimpse of what it’s like to walk a mile in her shoes.

“Dear Stacey,

With great pleasure, I wish to extend my warm greeting to you, I hope things are well with you.

It’s a great joy for me to share my happiness in relation to your assistance to me on the program W.F.W in Nigeria because I am able to meet up with many thing that I was blind to them. For example, now my business is well established, and the teaching I am receiving has given me clear idea of how to plan for a better future.

Beside, through the teaching I am able to understand that women should not be left aside because what man can do woman can do the same for example women can go to police station and bail somebody, not withstanding women can contest for elective position in the politics, is a great timing for women in the society.

Thanks for sponsoring me and my family are all greeting you, and may God help you in all your undertakings.

Your sister,
…”

Knowing that my measly $25 dollars a month has given her an opportunity to see the world in a new light and to empower her…well I can’t think of anything I could have bought that would have brought me more joy.

As I am in her prayers, she is mine, and so are all of you.

(The woman in the photo is not the woman I sponsor.)

Comments

Captain Dumbass said…
Good for you. It's nice to know that your money truly is helping someone.
Surge said…
Thinking about it, buying a new pair of headphones or something could be constituted for this. Amazing.
Susan R. Mills said…
Amazing, Stacey! This is so heartwarming. I admire the both of you. Please keep us posted on her progress.
kj said…
stacey, it feels so damn good to GIVE, doesn't it? you and she are both blessed in this relationship.

after too many years of taking care of myself and my immediate tribe, i am trying to give back where and when i can. i read that you are contributing $ 25 a month and it inspires me.

oh, and i am very much enjoying your comments on my blog. i appreciate them alot.

xoxo
kj
It must make the world feel a little smaller to have a sister in Africa. What a lovely gift you are giving and clearly you are getting much more back.xoxo
Deb said…
Tis an awesomely inspirational thing that you do. "Measly" I think not.. Good on you!
ladytruth said…
What an inspiring letter; this is the part where you feel really great for giving a little bit of your money because in giving that, you have given something of yourself to this woman and her family.

I have something for you over at my blog :)
Renee said…
Stacey I am glad you came by because it has led me here.

How far our money can go in other countries is so amazing isn't it?

Love Renee xoxox
Hi Stacey! I'm glad we found each other's blogs!
Sahildeki Ev said…
This is a beautiful program. Thanks for posting about it. I will look thru it..
Odd Jeppesen said…
A beautiful letter. And a beautiful thing that you and others are doing. It shows how relative the "value" of money is. For us, in the so-called developed world, $25.00 might pay for enough gas to get us a couple of hundred miles down the road. For someone in the Third World, it can mean a big step into a better life.

PS: thanks for leading me to your blog. Consider yourself "followed" as of today.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for visiting Secret Story Time! Your blog is nice, and it's different. I like it.

Secretia
Proof that you make a tangible difference!
xxx said…
I hope it's okay with you that I'm going to link to this post to make others aware of the possiblities created when assisting others.

best wishes
Ribbon :)

PS... I'll let you know when I create and post.
Gloria said…
Thanks for sharing that. It bought a tear or two to my eye.

Beautiful illustration. Beautiful posting.

Have a blessed week!
Gloria said…
. . . and now I'm off to sign up to follow you:) Loving your blog, funny, insightful and very inspirational!

Popular Posts