a brief history of my spiritual journey, part 1...

I was born to a Methodist father and a "reformed" Catholic mother.

I was baptized a Methodist.

My sister told me that Jesus was the bright spot in the light bulb. I didn’t believe her.

I thought when I prayed Jesus was in my hands, he wasn’t.

In elementary school I went to Good News Club on Fridays (for a few weeks). We sat and listened to Jesus stories played out on a felt board. If we sat still and quiet we won a prize. I only cared about the snack. We sang the song “Good News! Good News Christ died for me.!” Being told Jesus died for me was a heavy burden.

The prize I won was a blue plastic box of Bible verses that I kept on my nightstand. I feared going to hell if I threw them away. I don’t know where they are now but I am not in hell.

I had one Jewish friend and her mother helped with our Brownie Troup. I sat and had long discussions with her about the difference between Judaism and Christianity. Jesus was the difference. Jews didn’t “believe” in Jesus. This made sense to me.

When I was eleven, my parents got divorced and six months later remarried each other. It was around this time we started going to a newly formed Methodist congregation. We met at people’s houses and then at the Holiday Inn. The smell of chlorine still reminds me of that God. Our lives revolved around the church. We went every Sunday. I was the leader of the youth group, my sister named the church “Cedar Cross United Methodist Church” and my mom sang in the choir.

I was confirmed a Methodist.

I listened to people who spoke about finding Jesus. I waited for the miracle.

I joined Job’s Daughters, a Masonic sponsored youth organization for young women. My father is a Mason. I wore a white satin robe and learned more about the Bible, especially the book of Job.

All my activities had to do with the church or the Bible. I didn’t notice it at the time.

I remember one Christmas when I was about fourteen, watching a movie about Jesus and crying uncontrollably. I felt akin to this man but I didn’t see him as anything other than a man. I still did not understand how he had died for my sins. I was ashamed to cry about movies so I hid it from my family.

At fifteen I bought a copy of the Koran.

I’ve never read the Bible but I own one.

to be continued tomorrow...

Comments

Looking forward to part II.
Brian Miller said…
i am intrigued by your journey. the first part of yours sounds eerily familiar...
Claus said…
Very interesting indeed! Living in a Catholic country, and having studied in a Catholic/nun school, I know exactly - or at least in a huge way - know what you mean in this first part.
Looking forward to part II.
Nevine Sultan said…
And I, too, am looking forward to Part 2. I'm with you, here, Stacey. With you and it's scary. But I've actually read every book under the sun from the Bible to the Koran to the Bhagavad Gita to the Book of Mormon to the Dead Sea Scrolls out of fascination with religion. I am fascinated by what I lack. Fascinated by words that sometimes ring true to my heart, but often ring so with the veil of hypocrisy. Or has history ruined religion for us? You've got me thinking too much, Stacey. I'll wait and see what else is coming through from you tomorrow and we'll take it from there...

Nevine
xxx said…
Great writing Stacey...
you've painted a vivid picture.

best wishes :)
ribbon x
Tracie said…
When I was little I thought I would go to hell if I didn't brush my teeth before bed.

Will be waiting on part 2.
Roni Loren said…
You've hooked me, looking forward to part two. Great writing style as well.
There is a big story coming, I can feel it. We all evolved from our childhood upbringing. I'm interested in your voyage.
Gaia said…
I'm waiting for part 2 too. It sounds exciting!
Anonymous said…
Who ever God is, She gets every channel on Satellite, and she is watching us now.
"I was only interested in the snack." LOL! Been there, done that! Looking forward to Part 2!
Tabitha Bird said…
Stacey I love that you are not afraid to share your story :) And nor should you be :)

I look forward to hearing part two.
Susan R. Mills said…
I'm definitely looking forward to the follow up. I liked hearing your background. Can't wait to hear the rest.
kj said…
stacey girl, your writing is so compact it is a breeze to hang on to every word. and you know to make your paragraphs short--another way to make sure the reader is cozy and attentive. i love it all.

i was raised catholic and years after i left the church i would sometimes go back to mass and hope an overhead angel would somehow welcome me home. but it never happened. then i learned 'god dwells within me as me.' that was my turning point.

much love back
kj
Natalie said…
So interesting! I love to learn about what people came from.
GEM said…
I'm following you twice. I can't wait for part II.
Hugs!!
(Green-Eyed Momster)
You "go girl" we all want to know. Your journey mirrors many, but you also have the gift of words.

Love the spider. Thanks for opening the door into the real you we can now treasure.
I loved it, loved it, loved it. The way you told your story was so nonchalant, so casual and in such a s**t-happens style that I am already looking forward to part 2. Here's my favourite sentence:

'Being told Jesus died for me was a heavy burden.'

Priceless.

Greetings from London.
Betty Manousos said…
Oh Stacy ,that is a very interesting story.
Loved it. I look forward to reading more and more and more....
hugs hugs

P.S. Can't wait to hear the rest.
BTW. Thank you so much for your kind comments on my post.
Boozy Tooth said…
Stacey... I'm hanging on every word, chica. Your writing is pure brilliance.

"The smell of chlorine still reminds me of that God."

Can't wait for your next post.
Unknown said…
Very interesting and I, too, look forward to tomorrow!
Anonymous said…
We not raising our children to be anything. Not even atheist. It doesn't seem right to me to indoctrinate children. If you have to get them young, then it doesn't speak well of the religion.
Renee said…
Love it all Stacey, so interesting. You are a seeker.

Love Renee xoxo
Michael said…
Well, regardelss of whatever a church migh tor migh tnot be, I have never foudn any one more compelling, less hypocritical or as wise and loving as Jesus. Also I ahve never found anyone's words more infuriating to everything I want to believe bu ti know he is real and no one has done anything like him so I'm keeping my lot there. I tend to skip church for the same reason as you,.

Popular Posts