down time...

The weekends that Goom is with his father I usually start off a bit lost if I haven’t made immediate plans. The house is quiet, too quiet. There’s no one yelling “MAMA!” from the other room or needing my constant attention. It’s a big shift from being an always-needed mom to single woman on my own. It’s hard to find my “single” rhythm. I usually transition into my “d-own time” by watching a couple hours of TV, eating junk food and doing absolutely NOTHING –healthy right? Luckily, I’m pretty good at only letting this last a couple hours before refocusing and getting started.

This weekend, however, I never found my rhythm. Hours of unplanned time stretched before me that I had hoped would be filled with writing were spent watching more than the usual dose of a couple hours of TV and procrastinating everything, even the cleaning. (The 90-degree weather didn’t help) Even as I finally found my way to the computer last night, in lieu of writing I looked through pictures of the Goom. As I glanced through picture after picture, I chuckled realizing that this had become a bit of a ritual, not the procrastinating but looking at pictures of Goom while he’s away.

He’s really only ever gone for forty-eight hours (at the most) and yet there is always that moment while he’s gone when I find myself adoring him picture after picture. I laughed. It is never planned. I never think oh, let's look at pictures of Goom. It's just where I find myself. I'm reminded how much I love him.

Last night this picture made me especially happy.


I hope it does the same for you.

My muse never did find me this weekend. Perhaps it wasn’t the weekend for massive amounts of writing, maybe I just needed a little down time, a little recuperation, or to be lazy.

Really, those are just a bunch of lame excuses. What I really need is to get over my fear of writing a book and stop making excuses. I just need to do it, one word at a time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
such light radiates from that smile;)

I think you are in the right place, ya know...admitting you have to get started, its like everytime I have something to do, it never gets done until Im ready, and the start of being ready is always when I say..this is what I need to do...

so I dont know if my rambling made sense(it made perfect sense in my head..lol) but you are looking forward, and that is a good place...and we all need a few lazy days;)

peace and happy writting my friend;)
Yes, its true and you made perfect sense. I just need to be ready and I don't know what will make me feel ready so I just need to get to the point where I say, "this is what I need to do..." I'm almost there. I can feel it.

Thanks for all your kind words.

much love
Shaista said…
You're right, that is an adorable picture, a very openhearted face - if I had a Goom I'd moon over pictures of him too :)
Creativity is in so many of our living forces. Love being one of the most essential creative spirits. Since you have that one down, the other (minor) one of creative writing should be a breeze ;)
I am so blessed to be given the gift of being his mother...thank you for your kind and inspiring words. be well

much love
MLG said…
What a great picture!!! It made me smile.

I have shared custody of my three kids, and I can so relate to those few hours of transition. My transition though seems to last days, and just as I get into the groove of singlehood, it is time to go back to full-time Mommy of three. One week on and one week off is both a blessing and a curse. However, I have been told time and time again, I am right where I need to be.

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for visiting my blog.
ladytruth said…
You were right: we DO have a few things in common! The fear of writing a book and start doing so by writing word for word? I can absolutely relate to that.

As for the picture: that boy is ADORABLE!!! And super cute. You should be really proud.

Lovely style of writing; I'm looking forward to reading some more of it :)
Betty Manousos said…
That's an absolutely great pic !. Your son is so adorable and handsome!
This is my wish for you: To get over the fear of writing a book soon!!!; confidence for when you doubt.
xxx
Nevine Sultan said…
Stacey, you're a mom, and it's only natural for you to be drawn to your momminess when your child isn't there. You'll be doing this for the rest of your life. I'm not a mommy but I have one, and I''m still her little girl (yikes!).

Yes, you're right about the book part, too. I mulled for months over starting my blog: procrastination, inhibitions, fears, doubts. It was uncalled for. One day I just determined to do it right this minute. I think once you start, it'll be smooth sailing. And it isn't like you don't have the gift of words...
MW, so glad other mothers experience the same transition problems, a week on and a week off is a very difficult, schedules. Kudos for your courage.

Ladytruth, Thanks for stopping by and look forward to getting to know you better, blog style.

Betty, thank you for your wish, i'm up early this morning to put down the first words of my book. One step at a time.

Nevine, I'm glad you didn't procrastinate longer on your blog, its wonderful and enjoy reading it.

Thank you all for all your kinds words!
Susan R. Mills said…
He's adorable! And, yes, just one word at a time!
Thank you! This morning I am up, writing one word at a time!
4evernite said…
Now THAT'S a smile! He so adorable. :-) I'm sure the transition is difficult and when you sit at the computer to write and then find yourself looking at photos of your son instead... Next time, let THAT be your inspiration. Write about him for awhile to loosen up your brain... then go to your book. Just a suggestion. Glad to know you're writing today. I enjoy your blog. :-)
I think I need to make a rule when I sit down to write my book, no going on-line or looking around, LOL! Glad you like my blog!
AutoDT said…
A beautiful picture...:)

Have a great day!

Cyrus
Thank you...I look forward to reading your next post of beautiful words.
Jo Potter said…
Hi Stacey,
Thank you for your very kind comment and for following me!
I admire you for being a single parent. I can imagine it must be difficult at times. My mother was a single parent. We had fun together but I know she found it hard sometimes.
Your son is cute.;)
Very glamorous to be living Hollywood!
Anyway, lovely to meet you and I'm now following you too.;)
Best wishes, Jo.x.
Thanks Joanne,

Yes, there is definitely something very special about my relationship with Cole because I've been a single mom. We've had to learn a lot of patience. He is my greatest teacher. I'm not sure how glamorous living in Hollywood is, lol...I'd much rather live on a farm somewhere, someday. I'll be posting pictures of my neighborhood soon. Ha Ha! There are definitely special moments that happen because we are in Hollywood...

much love and thanks for following.
Vodka Mom said…
I agree. You have to kick your OWN ass.


:-)
I've kicked it. I was up at 6am this morning and tomorrow it will be 5!

Popular Posts