creative memoir writing...

Last week my class started. So far I'm loving it. I thought I'd share with you my first assignment. We had to list five devastating, tragic, or embarrasing things that happened to us in our past and write paragraphs about two of them. Below is what I wrote.

"before the last good-bye..."

That was it. After he threw his cigarette butt out the truck window, I decided I was never going to see him again. I promised myself, I would tell him once we got back to his place. Why had I hooked up with him in the first place? We’d been broken up for nine months and in those nine months I had found peace. I’d become a yoga teacher, had a meditation practice - I was flying high on self-love but thought perhaps too high so I decided to ground myself – by sleeping with him. It doesn’t get more mundane than having sex with an ex you are not in love with.

When we got back to his apartment before I said my last good-bye, I checked my messages in case there was news. I had one message. As I listened and watched him light up another cigarette disappearing into the toxic cloud, I realized it was the message I’d been dreading and secretly hoping for. “Good thing you’re a yoga teacher because I doubt you went out for drinks after leaving my office. Your test turned positive. You are pregnant,” my doctor said.

I hung up the phone and cried tears of joy and sorrow.


"broken valentine..."

The tulips, the card, the uneaten chocolates, the necklace with the little heart that he had given me lay strewn across my dining room table like relics of possibility. Gifts that were meant to bring happiness to two people in love on Valentine’s Day now brought mourning. It was the morning after and before this moment, before seeing my dining room table littered with tokens of love I thought it might not be true. I laughed at the absurdity. Everything was here as he had left it except one thing. I rubbed my ring finger with my thumb as I often did. My ring - the ring that symbolized our promise to each other was gone. The one thing he didn’t leave behind. How had it happened? How did we get here?



Comments

most excelllent
very intense
very good
very well written
Anonymous said…
interesting, one you leave, the other he does, but both very powerful, the emotion jumps from the page...

peace
steven said…
stacey j. these are gut-wrenching, sorrow-tinged stroies and are so well-written i'm almost speechless. i could feel my body tightening as i read them . . . i can't help feeling these stories close to heart but that's another story!!! steven
Brian Miller said…
wow. both of these are superbly written...intense and real. just the way i like them.
You're off to a great start, it's clear!
Bev said…
Super paragraphs Stacey, now I want to know the whole story! You have a wonderful way with words.
It is a strong piece, self revelatory and full of surprises.
Tess Kincaid said…
Well done, Stacey! Sounds like an interesting class.
Lisa said…
Heart-wrenching emotions. I pray that once they are out of your chest, they'll leave your heart and belong to the past and stay in the past.
And you learned that once you truly own a new truth, it is not possible to return to when you didn't know...

Then the mystery of life begins anew.
Susan said…
Bonjour my friend, I think this is my first comment but wanted you to know that I have been visiting here and following your story, life and love in Hollywood. I am thrilled for you finding the Captain just as I have found my Cowboy. Much love from the Gang at Black Street xo Susan
brandi said…
~to write without inhibition...raw...our truth...beautifully done...brightest blessings~
Good stuff there. I like the paraell you created.
Wow - very powerful!! I loved it!!
Boozy Tooth said…
The tulips, the card, the uneaten chocolates, the necklace with the little heart that he had given me lay strewn across my dining room table like relics of possibility

Gorgeous. I imagine that'll get you an A.
LarryG said…
oh Stacey - what a story!
And well told, can't wait for the encore
Renee said…
Stacey I could have read more of each story.

xoxox
GYPSYWOMAN said…
very poignantly beautiful, lady - and i love the phrase "relics of possibilities" - love it!!! such a wonderful place of words thoughts and feelings here - thank you for having us!
Anonymous said…
You are such a good writer, it's like I am there as it happened!

Secretia
xxx said…
Brilliant.... now I want more.

x Ribbon
Gaia said…
You need to go for classes? You write such inspiring, thought provoking, beautiful posts! Bless you dear.
Betty Manousos said…
Beautifully written! You are my inspiration!
hugs

Popular Posts