toot-sweets...

Many, many years ago, I taught pre-school. It was during my college years. I stumbled upon it while looking on the job boards at school, needing something that would allow me to go to school in the morning and the theater at night. I was a drama major and was always working on a show. The hours were from lunch to 6pm. Perfect.

When I took the job, little did I know I was about to get the education of a life time. Not only did I learn psychology, nature vs. nurture, etc. it was on the job training for the most important job of my life, being a mother. I didn’t realize it at the time but now I see what a gift it was. It completely prepared me for motherhood and gave me a leg up. Thank God since when I became a mother, I would be flying solo. (Although, somehow I already knew this.)

At the time I kept a journal but was too busy acting like Anais Nin and writing about my many lovers to jot down funny stories about the shenanigans of the preschoolers. It didn’t seem important or big enough. There wasn’t enough drama compared to the rest of my life. When really, it could have been my best seller. Now that I’m older and wiser I see people would much rather read about children doing funny things than my twenty-something sexcapades.

Anyhoo, there is one story that I will never forget and here it is.

Toot-Sweets

As always, we had the kids wash their hands after coming in from outside. The preschool was a cozy old house in North Seattle. The kids lined up outside the bathroom and we kept an eye on them over the Dutch door while making cups of tea and chatting. They knew the routine, wash your hands and then sit down on the rug and look at books.

It wasn’t long before the kids got a little louder. We peaked over and heard, “Taylor has a flute.” Another chimed in “I want a flute.”

“It’s not fair that Taylor and Sam both have flutes,” several whined.

Keela, a fellow teacher and I looked at each quizzically and stepped through the door to see what was going on.

There were Taylor and Sam playing their “flutes” – cardboard tampon applicators.

Our jaws dropped. We hid our laughter and asked them to throw their “flutes” back in the trash. Then we gave a little lesson about picking stuff out of the garbage.

That incident remained our little secret. (wink, wink)

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is a funny thing, a toy is a toy though :)
Mr. Charleston said…
Funny. However, I must admit that I have in my collection a... slide whistle, or whatever they are called. I break it out for my granddaughters and they love it. I give them each a maracas and they shake the rhythm while I play the whistle. Great fun.
Tracie said…
That is so funny! (And kind of disgusting too.) My kids call tampons 'mommy's paper sticks'.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Anonymous said…
hahahhahahaa way funny.

I think it is awesome how life prepares us for what is to come;)

peace
Chief said…
and I always thought they were been shooters!

*and then she threw up in her mouth*
Yeah! Funny and totally believable.
Captain Dumbass said…
Bwah ha ha hah! If it wasn't for my kids I'd have nothing to blog about.
Jenny Stevning said…
Ahhhhhhahahahahahahahahaha! I LOVE that story!!!
Betty Manousos said…
Love that story , Stacey. Funny!
Have a great weekend!
love and hugs
Lisa said…
oh no..children, they find simple pleasures in everything.
brandi said…
~the ingenious minds of little ones...always amazes me what they can do...what a wonderful story! brightest blessings~
steven said…
stacey j that's the innocence and creativity of children all wrapped up in one little applicator!!! thankyou for the hilarious story! steven
Mike said…
That is funny! a little gross, but very funny!
Boozy Tooth said…
Ack! I imagine by "playing" their flutes they actually had the applicators up to their lips?

Eeeeeeeeew.

That would have been a completely appropriate opportunity to wash those boys' mouths out with soap, and their moms would have thanked you... if you get my meaning.
Natalie said…
I think I just laughed bagel through my nose! Oh my, kids are so funny--and that is gross.
anniemcq said…
I guess it says something about me that I was sort of relieved it was tampon tubes and not their penises! There is a family story that I once set the table with "sanitary napkins" when I was three.
Tabitha Bird said…
LOL! Glad I wasn't eating when I read this post :)

I taught prep and year one (4-6 years olds) I know how funny they can be! This is a great story :)
Dulçe ♥ said…
funny story.. oh-kids...he he

Thanks for sharing my dear friend!
Hugs ;)
Hilarious! Do you think they remember that?

Hugs!!
Hilarious! Do you think they remember that?

Hugs!!
kj said…
hahaha: versatility.

we need more of that. a lot of time that's where our art comes from!

i am now working with kids for the first time in my career and the experience is rich and golden.

Susan R. Mills said…
Ha! Thanks for the laugh. That is a great story.
LarryG said…
haha!
that you would call it Toot Sweets is even more hilarious!
Anonymous said…
Virtual Memory sure is becoming cheaper these days. I'm curious as to when we will eventually hit the rate of 1 cent to 1 Gigabyte.

I eagerly await the day when I will finally be able to afford a 20 terabyte harddisk, lol. But for now I guess I will be content with having a 32 gig Micro SD in my R4i.

(Posted by S3 for R4i Nintendo DS.)

Popular Posts